Faculty of Mechanical EngineeringCopyright: © Fraunhofer ILT
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering has been established with the polytechnic University in 1870. Since then, the international reputation of the RWTH is mainly due to its expertise. The Faculty is the largest of the RWTH with 50 professors, over 600 PhD students and over 500 staff in workshops, laboratories and administration at 37 institutions. The focus lies on the production technology in automotive engineering and plastics technology. Professors of the aerospace institution of the RWTH Aachen were for instance Hans Reißner, the founder of the aircraft statistic, Hugo Junkers as the prototype of the aircraft designer par excellence and Theodore von Kármán, a pioneer of aerospace technology.
The Faculty works closely with the Forschungszentrum Jülich, the Fraunhofer Institutes for Laser Technology ILT, Production Technology IPT and Molecular Biology IME and applied ecology, the German Aerospace Center DLR and other research institutions and technical-scientific associations. The Faculty for Mechanical Engineering is the leading externally funded institution due to its traditionally close links with the industry.
The Faculty also creates ideal conditions for the early involvement of the 4,500 students in the research. They are involved in ongoing research projects as part of their undergraduate, diploma and Staatsexamen theses. In addition, more than half of the students work as student assistant at institutes of the RWTH. Successful tutoring programs have been supporting for years the individual attention. In the main study, students have seven major subjects with 20 focus points to choose from. The hard school pays off: According to a survey, one out of five vehicle engineers is from Aachen and one out of four board members of German companies is a graduate from the RWTH.